Alvin Kushner born 11 March 1942 – Studied Commercial Art at Cape Tech and UCT for 3 years in the sixties but decided not to pursue it as a career. Spent much of his career in the motor industry where he owned vehicle sales outlets which he sold 20 years ago.
In 1996 he and his wife, Merril, reinvented themselves by entering the then fast growing tourism industry. After undergoing specialised training they established the company, Cape Rainbow Tours which they still run.
Has been a member of the Reform movement since the day he got married in Temple Israel Hillbrow in 1965.
Positions held in Jewish organisations.
- National Chairman: South African Jewish Maritime League.
- Joint Vice Chairman: SA Union for Progressive Judaism.
- Regional Chairman: Cape Town Progressive Jewish Congregation
- Past Chairman: Temple Israel West Coast.
- Past Joint Vice Chairman: Cape Town Progressive Jewish Congregation.
Other Positions held.
- Regional Chairman: Southern African Tourism Services Association. (SATSA WC)
- Trustee: Cape Windjammers Education Trust.
- Board Member: South African Sail Training for Life-skills Association.
- Past Commodore and trustee: False Bay Yacht Club, Simonâ€™s Town
- Member: Cape Rainbow Tours cc
Wife Merril, 3 surviving children and 6 grandchildren
Sailing and Motorcycling